Sunday, November 07, 2004

UK Top 75 (07/11/04)

Since Blogger appears to hate me today, and keeps deleting my posts, here is this week's chart rundown in more concise form...

All Eyes - 65
Ed Harcourt - 61
Thee Unstrung - 59
Death From Above 1979 - 57
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 54
Open - 53
Rasmus - 50

Chingy is first into the top 40 with 'Balla Baby' at 34, while George Michael has another top 40 hit at 32 with his new single 'Round Here'. The Strokes, milking their album for all its worth (not very much, actually) are at 27 this week with 'The End Has No End'.

Now, here's something of note - new at 25 is Tyler James. Having been plugged by both Popjustice and our friend Jessica at Dirrrty Pop for some time, 'Why Do I Do' is something fresh and interesting for the charts. It's just a shame Tyler couldn't make it any higher. Candee Jay is new at 23 with 'Back For Me'.

Having not been aware of this song before yesterday evening, we are happy to say that this song, charting at 22, definitely would have been my single of the week. 'I Predict a Riot' by Kaiser Chiefs just blew me away. With a catchy melody, clapping, guitars and lyrical simplicity, it really made me smile. It's just a shame that what charts one place above (21) is a terrible pop/dance rendition of kiddie song 'Wind The Bobbin' Up' by Jo Jingles. When you think about it, it's almost the opposite of chart-favourites Blur being used for a CBeebies advert. And we didn't make that up.

Elton John has another top 20 hit (just!) with 'All That I'm Allowed (I'm Thankful)', scraping in at 20. Some other chart 'veterans' are back and they are Wet Wet Wet, who are at 14 with the very similarly titled 'All I Want'. We haven't heard it yet, but we've heard it pretty, well...wet.

Jamelia is first into this week's top 10 with her double A side of 'DJ'/'Stop' at 9, while my faux-SOTW is at 7 - 'The Weekend' by Michael Gray.

EminemUsher is first in a chain of new entries, all from artists across the pond. He's at 5 with his double A side 'Confessions Part II'/'My Boo'. A collaboration between two decidedly 'fishy' women, Christina and Missy Elliot, is new at 4. Yep, it's that mediocre cover of 'Carwash' from the box office hit Shark Tale.

Britney is at 3 with 'My Prerogative', and the hyped-up Destiny's Child comeback single, 'Lose My Breath' is new at 2. So who's clinched the top spot?

It could only be Eminem, Marshall Mathers, The Real Slim Shady, or whatever else you'd like to call him. 'Just Lose It' is this week's bestselling single. Now, who could topple Eminem...?