Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Hannah's Single of the Week (13/12/04)

The last half-hearted attempts for Christmas number one are here. And I'm ready to review them. Aside from the old crooners (aka Cliff Richard and Donny Osmond) and the slightly-younger-crooners-with-a-similar age-fan-club (aka Ronan Keating) here are this week's releases:

Special Mentions:
THE ZUTONS - 'CONFUSION'
I have to admit, it's the happy, bouncy Zutons numbers that I like best, but 'Confusion' isn't bad. It's just a little dull in comparison to 'You Will You Won't' and 'Don't Ever Think', although this doesn't make it a bad song. It sways along gently in all its semi-acoustic glory. If you haven't bought the album, then do so. It's excellent value, and you'll be getting every single, rather than just the one. 3.7/5

ELECTRIC SIX - 'RADIO GA GA'
Oh dear. Comedy alert. After 'Danger! High Voltage!' and 'Gay Bar' I had little appreciation for Electric Six and their public image. They were a joke band, producing average songs that you could soon get sick of. The thing is...this cover isn't actually that bad, however cringeworthingly cheesy the video is. Not a patch on Freddie Mercury though. No way. 3.4/5

GOLDIE LOOKIN' CHAIN - 'YOU KNOWS I LOVE YOU'
And onto another 'joke' band. While we've had enough of guns and 'wappers' and well-endowed mothers, this is something altogether. It made me giggle, it made my parents chuckle and gives one of my best friends more amusement than every sitcom put together. What is there not to love about chavs that take the piss out of themselves, with lines about McDonalds and the Mecca Bingo. Not real music, but it wouldn't be out of place on a decent sketch show. 3.3/5

Single of the Week:
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - 'EMPTY SOULS'
It would have been this, except some idiot changed the release schedules. We impatiently wait for this single's release...

Avoid at ALL costs:
SKANDI GIRLS - 'DO THE CAN CAN'
Somebody told me about this. I thought they were kidding. Then I saw the video. The only word in my mind, quite frankly, is 'why?'. 0/5

BO SELECTA - 'SODAPOP/I GOT YOU BABE'
There are two good things to come out of this single. Firstly, it prompted the first ever interview with Leigh Francis out of character. Oddly enough, it was more surreal than if Avid Merrion had been there on Frank Skinner's show. Secondly, it's another charity effort. However, this doesn't excuse it from being a frankly terrible comedy effort. Yes, worse than last year's. 1.5/5