Friday, February 11, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (07/02/05)

Well, I'm back! After a week of mock GCSE exams and a drain on my creativity (along with aching fingers!) I have my Single of the Week.

While there's every temptation to write about the big names - U2 and Destiny's Child - this week, I'm not going to say anything apart from saying both songs are listenable, but neither are anything to write home about. With both you get the feeling of suspicion that you've heard it all before. Instead, I'm going to take the approach of reviewing both of the tracks Jonny (of Jonny's Site) steered me in the direction of, this week.

Special Mentions:
Josh Rouse - 'Winter in the Hamptons'
I was assured by Jonny I'd like it, and sure enough, I do. In fact, there's hardly anything not to like about this song. It's nothing life-changing, but it's an easy listen guaranteed to bring a smile to even the most miserable of faces. In short, it's a little, jaunty guitar track that can't fail. 3.5/5

Single of the Week
Doves - 'Black and White Town'
There really is only one song that stands out from all the others this week, and this is it. 'Black and White Town' is the first taster for the Doves' new album 'Some Cities' and going by what I've heard already it's going to take its pride of place on my 'to buy' list. Accompanied by a video that seems to be a cross between Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' and The Libertines' 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads' it's not just powerful musically, but visually, too. Conclusion? I could happily listen to it all day. Great stuff. 4/5

Avoid at ALL costs:
Noise Next Door - 'Calendar Girl'
Daniel Bedingfield - 'Wrap My Words Around You'
Not wishing to be incredibly prejudiced, but the Noise Next Door manage to rely solely on gimmicks, and appear to have a distinct lack of individuality and a decent stylist. Then again, if it's all about the music, they're not particularly good either. Daniel Bedingfield whines his way through another song from an album supposedly better than 'Lifeblood'. It has one of the most boring guitar parts ever written and the lyrical mush isn't even worth talking about. If you're in love, maybe it's all well and good, but this is the dreary rubbish the girlfriend won't want for Valentine's day...

All Releases: (subject to change)
Adam Green - Emily, Alison Krauss and Union Station - Restless/Cluck Old Hen, Amusement Parks On Fire - Venosa/Eighty Eight, Apartment - Everyone Says I'm Paranoid/June July, Beautiful South - This Will Be Our Year, Bright Eyes - Drunk Kid Catholic, Bright Eyes vs. Her Space Holiday - Split Single EP, Daniel Bedingfield - Wrap My Words Around You, Destiny’s Child - Soldier, Dizzee Rascal - Graftin’, Doves - Black And White Town, The Duke Spirit - Lion Rip, Elvis Presley - Wooden Heart, Fierce Girl - What Makes A Girl Fierce?, Hall & Oates - I Can Dream About You, Immediate - Never Seen/Say This [7” only], Jacquii Cann - I Believe In You/I’ll Stand By You, Josh Rouse - Winter In The Hamptons, Joya - You And Me EP, The Kills - The Good Ones, The Little Flames - Goodbye Little Rose, M83 - Don’t Save Us From The Flames, Mando Diao - You Can’t Steal My Love, Motiv8 Ft Jocelyn Brown - Riding On The Wings, My Morning Jacket - Sweatbees EP, Noise Next Door - Calendar Girl, Northern State - At The Party, Paddy Casey - Saints And Sinners, Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes, Quasimoto - Bus Ride [12” only], Raghav Ft Jucxi & Frankey Maxx - Angeleyes, Readers Wifes - Scumpop, Rhesus - Art Is Dead, Roots - Don’t Say Nuthin’, Sun Connection - Love Me Like A Flower, Tony Christie - Amarillo, U2 - Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own, Warren Suicide - Adjusting Ourselves, Wee Phillie Vs DJ Gotti - Bang On The Drum, The Wonder Stuff - Bile Chant/Rubbish Island, Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Machine

(Any alterations? Please leave a message in the comments. Tracks in bold are all those listened to this week)


What's your single of the week?