Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Tips for the Brits (part six)

The Brits are tonight! Obviously, since ITV are silly, we don't actually get to watch them ourselves until tomorrow evening, just in case Pete Doherty decides to prove the tabloids right for once and turn up and wreck proceedings, or something. Anyway, the last five awards at the Brits are actually for international acts ranging from our nearest neighbours (well, U2) to practically all of those in the US of A...

You know the score - here's who's nominated, who I would like to win, who I think will win and who I desperately do not want to win at all!

International Male Solo Artist
Brian Wilson
Eminem
Kanye West
Tom Waits
Usher

There's actually nobody I'm a fan of here. My conclusion? American males are only good if they're in bands. However, Brian Wilson's 'Smile' is apparently very, very good, so I'm trusting Q and Tim Chipping on this one.

International Female Solo Artist
Alicia Keys
Anastacia
Gwen Stefani
Kelis
Kylie Minogue

International females, on the other hand, are extremely cool. Well, Gwen Stefani is. Enough said.

International Group
Green Day
Maroon 5
Outkast
Scissor Sisters
U2

Scissor Sisters should win this one, although they've got a lot of competition from Green Day and Maroon 5. Outkast don't really deserve it, especially since their success seems to be based on one (albeit very good) song.

International Album
Killers - Hot Fuss
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters
U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

I only own the Scissor Sisters album, and it is amazing. I posted a review in the very early days of WL - see if you can find it and comment on it! I would be very surprised if, despite being the best selling album of last year, it doesn't manage to win. On the other end of the scale, the Outkast double gave me a headache. It was also on the January sales racks in Woolworths this year. Enough said.

International Breakthrough Act
Jet
Kanye West
Killers
Maroon 5
Scissor Sisters

Jet had two good singles, and an album full of filler. Kanye West produces some half-decent rap, but it's hardly my thing. Oh, what do I care? Scissor Sisters should walk this, give a great performance and walk home with every award they're nominated for. They're practically honorary Brits already!

What do you think?