Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (07/03/05)

My subconscious is making me choose a song from a selection I have barely heard, or even liked, to become my single of the week. Woe is me. Anyway, I will try, but comments really are appreciated this week.

Special Mentions:
My Chemical Romance - 'I'm Not Okay (I Promise)'
At the risk of becoming a generic comedy-emo teen, I actually quite like this song. The movie trailer style video is clever, though hardly original (it's slightly similar to the Manics' 'Tsunami') and couples effectively with the song. The lead singer also manages, at his most erratic, to look like an emo-teen Rik Mayall, although this may be just me. It has a great chorus, and is emo at its poppiest. It could be top 20. I hope it is - I wouldn't mind hearing this on the radio more often. 3/5

McFly - 'All About You'/'You've Got A Friend'
They might possibly be the two most underwhelming McFly songs ever (and that's saying something) but they happen to be for Comic Relief, so I'm a little torn. I won't criticise though - McFly can play their instruments (as demonstrated on Saturday Night Takeaway) and sing better than the Busted boys. However, if you're going to give money to Comic Relief, why not sit in a bath of baked beans, or something highly unoriginal? Rasie money, but don't endorse this rubbish and if you are, buy the copy with the video on for a bit of celebrity spotting. Johnny Vegas playing the harp? Genius. 2.5/5

Single of the Week:
Brendan Benson - 'Spit It Out'
Admittedly, I quite like Mr Benson and, although this isn't him at his best, 'Spit It Out' isn't half bad. The new album, 'Alternative To Love' is out on Monday and while it looks promising from what I've heard already, it could all be spoilt by Brendan already tinkering with perfection. The album version of the title track is inferior to the original. I can't really write about 'Spit It Out' as I've barely heard it, but it's still the best thing out this week. 3.5/5 EDIT: Apparently this release has been put back to the end of March.

All Releases:
Agent Blue - Children’s Children, Alec Empire - Gotta Get Out, Black Twang Ft K9 - GCSE, Brendan Benson - Spit It Out, C Sixty Four - On A Good Thing, David Morales Ft Tamra Keenan - Here I Am, The Donnas - I Don’t Want To Know, Elvis Presley - Good Luck Charm, Gisli - The Day It All Went Wrong, Hellogoodbye - Hellogoodbye, Hipslinky - Natural/Lucky, Homegrown - When It All Comes Down, Howard Brown - You’re The First, The Last, My Everything, James Blunt - Wise Men, Jin - Learn Chinese, Jose Gonzales - Crosses, Kill City - Hooligans On E, LnM Projekt ft. Bonnie Bailey - Everywhere, Louis XIV - Illegal Tender EP, Lucky Nine - Lucky Nine, Maria Mena - You’re The Only One, McFly - All About You/You’ve Got A Friend, Mitchell Brothers Ft Mike Skinner - Routine Check, My Chemical Romance - I’m Not Okay (I Promise), Nate James - Set The Tone, New Order - Krafty, Nine Black Alps - Shot Down, Ocean Colour Scene - Free My Name, Park Slope - La Dee Da Dee, Phantom Planet - California, Planet Funk - The Switch, The Rifles - Peace And Quiet, Ruslana - Dance With The Wolves, SLK - Hype! Hype!, Solid State Revival - Step Into The Sun, Sunset Strippers - Falling Stars, Towers Of London - On A Noose, Tweet Ft Missy Elliott - Turn The Lights Off, Tyler James - Foolish, Viva Voce - Alive With Pleasure EP, Weapons Of Mass Belief - Black Line Ninja

What's your single of the week?