Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (21/03/05)

I haven't heard a lot this week, so the cream of the crop are probably those singles I've not heard. Enlighten me - what have you heard this week that should be here instead?

Special Mention:
Bright Eyes - 'First Day Of My Life'
Bright Eyes - First Day Of My LifeI currently have a weakness for charming little acoustic numbers such as this. 'First Day Of My Life' is taken from one of the latest releases from Bright Eyes - 'I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning'. The song itself is nothing that will change the world, but its beauty lies in its simplicity and its tenderness. The video is also adorable and provides the audience with a real connection to the song, which is a nice touch too. Q has already rated the album as a ***** classic, so there's always the option to splash out and buy the whole record. Our blogging buddy at Botherd Goes Pop loves it too! 3/5

Single of the Week:
Damien Rice - 'Volcano'
Damien Rice - VolcanoI'm sure not many people will find it too hard to believe that Damien Rice's debut, 'O', was released in 2003 and has therefore been around forever. However, since 'The Blower's Daughter' became part of the soundtrack for a box office smash, it's inevitable that we'll still be seeing singles from it. 'Volcano' is arguably one of the stronger tracks on the album (beaten only by, in my opinion, 'Amie') and has the usual features of a Rice song - strings, acoustic guitar and a beautiful vocal duet between Rice and Lisa Hannigan. A new track, 'Lonely Soldier' is also included on the single, although I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it yet. 4/5

Avoid at all costs:
The Faders - 'No Sleep Tonight'
People seem to be loving and loathing this track in equal proportion. I'm afraid I'm in the latter group, finding absolutely nothing of interest in this 'Busted with boobs'. If you are looking for guitar-based pop-rock hybrids, look no further than Charlotte Hatherley. She's 4Real, carries out her solo career whilst being in a successful rock band and is considerably less plasticated and image-focused. Oh, and she writes some cracking middle-eights. This track is just cliched, boring and a sign of things to come. God help us. 1.5/5

Sara Jorge - 'Shock To The System'
Cheesy pop with bad production is usually enough to put me off, but when it is coupled with a video as disastrous as this one it's hardto even begin to take it seriously. Sara's eye make-up almost outdoes Christina Aguilera for sheer ridiculousness and as for the Frankenstein and dancing mummies...I don't want to go there. It's cringeworthy and void of talent or even a decent tune. 1/5

And why oh why do Kasabian feel the need to re-release 'Club Foot'? Didn't it do well enough the first time?

All Releases:
50 Cent - Candy Shop, Adema - Tornado, Alec Empire - Gotta Get Out, Brandy - Who Is She 2 U?, Bright Eyes - First Day Of My Life, British Sea Power - It Ended On An Oily Stage, Caged Baby - Hello There/Amplified [7” only], Damien Rice - Volcano, Dizzee Rascal - Off 2 Work/Graftin’, Elvis Presley - Return To Sender, Erasure - Don’t Say You Love Me, Fabolous Ft Mike Shorey - Baby, The Faders - No Sleep Tonight, Finn Brothers - Edible Flowers, Fischerspooner - Just Let Go, Five o Clock Heroes - Run To Her, Help She Can’t Swim - I Don’t Need You/La Ain’t No Great Place To Be, Husky Rescue - New Light Of Tomorrow, I Am Kloot - Over My Shoulder, Kaptain Black - Drone The Queen Bee/Overeaten [7” only], Kasabian - Club Foot, Mario - Let Me Love You, MC Neat Ft Beatfreak B - By Far The Greatest, Mercury Rev - Across Yer Ocean, Million Dead - Living The Dream, Natalie Imbruglia - Shiver, Roots Manuva - Too Cold, Ruslana - Dance With The Wolves, Sara Jorge - Shock To The System, Subways - Oh Yeah, Sydenham & Ferrer - Sandcastles, The Thrills - Irish Keep Gate Crashing, Tom Vek - I Ain’t Saying My Goodbyes, Will Smith - Switch, Wolfmother - Wolfmother EPXTM & DJ Chucky Pts Annia - Give Me Your Love

What's your single of the week? Should I be glad I haven't heard the latest effort from 50 Cent? Is Natalie Imbruglia's comeback single worth the wait? Tell all on the comments!