Thursday, April 07, 2005

Manic Street Preachers + Delays @ Derby Assembly Rooms (part one)

Part one of three in a readable series of bitesized chunks, because everyone knows I can't control myself when I really want to write a lot about something. Fangirlish squeeing will be kept to an absolute minimum.

For the record, I'm not a 'hardcore' Manic Street Preachers fan. Then again, I'm hardly a casual fan either. My attitude places me somewhere in between - a girl that doesn't seem to have a day without the music, yet will not appear at gigs with tiara, feather boa and spraypainted t-shirt. This is partly because my friends will think I have finally lost it.

Considering the Manics' commercial boom and Richey-era were long before I even knew what pop music was, it was sometime last year before I bought 'Forever Delayed' on a whim and instantly fell in love with this band I previously knew nothing about. Do my friends like the Manics? Not particularly, and definitely not to the degree I do. It seems a shame, really.

Much to my annoyance, I missed the Lifeblood tour in 2004 due to a badly timed prior commitment, so attending Past/Present/Future was a must. Small venues? So much the better.

Of course, things didn't run smoothly. After a successful pre-sale, nabbing four standing tickets, it was 3 delivery days before the gig the tickets were actually dispatched, despite SeeTickets insisting they would be there at least 5 days before. They did eventually arrive, after a lot of stressing on my part, and so on Monday, accompanied by my good friends Michael and Jonny, and driven by my Dad, I headed off to Derby...

To Be Continued...