Friday, July 08, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (08/07/05)

Just a quick post this week, since I’ve not been feeling at my best and therefore not been one bit motivated to try to blog. There’s also little music providing anything remotely like excitement for me, this week, just as last week. However, saying that, I was particularly impressed with Charlotte Church’s ‘Crazy Chick’, being won over by its brass section and distinct lack of obvious chorus. I’m also impressed with the Oasis single that will be out soon (although this is probably down to the presence of the marvellous Rhys Ifans in the video) and I’m also looking forward to some new material from Supergrass. Anyway, I’d better concentrate on the present – what’s out this week?

‘Cold Hands Warm Heart’ is the latest effort from Brendan Benson and is another selection from his impressive current album, ‘The Alternative To Love’. It’s not as instant as ‘Spit It Out’, but it’s still a good single. It’s a shame Brendan is unlikely to ever make an impact on the UK singles market, because in a fair world, he would be a star.

Kelly Clarkson has put out a good pop-rock effort this week with 'Since U Been Gone'. It’s not quite my thing, but for its type, it’s pretty darn impressive and I still can’t resist singing along. Mind you, I can't help wanting to not only correct the grammar in the song title, but rid it of textspeakisms - okay, so it's not even a word, but still.

It’s in competition for the top spot, so please AVOID the latest release from Mariah Carey. I really can’t stand it. Sure, I will admit the woman can sing, sometimes, but the music that goes behind the voice? I’m not convinced.

My single of the week award this week just has to go to Beck’s quirky but brilliant ‘Girl’. It’s delightfully summery, has a video that still has me captivated after many watches and I just adore the guitar work. It’s refreshingly different from most of what’s in the charts, without being too odd that it's inaccessable. I love it.

All Releases:
3 Doors Down - Let Me Go, Apartment - Patience Is Proving, Beck – Girl, Boy Least Likely To - Hugging My Grudge [7" only], Break makers - Conscience EP, Brendan Benson - Cold Hands, Warm Heart, British Beef - Without Me, Brooke Valentine – Girlfight, The Cazals - Poor Innocent Boys, The Chalets - Feel The Machine, Cookie - Do It Again, Crazy Girl - Miss USA [7" only], Daft Punk – Technologic, Drinkme - Manifesto [7" only], Fat Joe - Get It Poppin’Hey Negrita - Devil In My Shoes, Joseph Arthur - Can’t Exist, Joss Stone - Don’t Cha Wanna Ride?, Kanye West – Diamonds, Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone, Laura Turner - Soul Deep, Mariah Carey - We Belong Together, The Mystery Jets - On My Feet, Part Chimp - War Machine, Rachel Stevens - So Good, Silent League - Goliath [7" only], Simian Mobile Disco - Pulse [7" only], Soho Dolls – Stripper, Songs For The Young At Heart - Puff The Magic Dragon [7" only], Steven Sproat - You Turned The Light On, Tiefschwarz - Wait And See, Tracey Cole - Speed Of Sound, The Undercut - To Die For, Youth group - Shadowland