Monday, August 22, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (22/08/05)

So here we are. I have been doing this silly little music blog for a whole year, with a total of over 200 posts!

Happy 1st Birthday Whatever’s Left!

While it’s a year since WL first took up residence on the world wide web, it’s a whole decade since that epic Britpop battle that saw Blur beat Oasis to the top spot with ‘Country House’. I’m not going to lie here - I don’t even remember the chart battle –I just remember a friend excitedly dragging me into her brother’s bedroom, and playing the aforementioned single at top volume. I developed a headache wondering when it was all going to end and what, indeed, was ‘Blur’.

Thankfully, all that mystery and torment is no more (being a Blur and all-round music fan) and as ever, I bring you a review of a selection of this week’s single releases including one from Blur’s rivals – Oasis.

As for what to avoid this week, there is another release from the Crazy Frog (why?!?) and the debut solo single from Simon Webbe. Simon, for those not in the know, is from the boyband Blue, who are currently on a break in order to develop their solo careers. Whilst this is great because, for the moment, Blue are no longer, the inevitable downside is that we get four singles instead of one. Fantastic.

Special Mentions:

The Coral
‘Something Inside Of Me’
Something Inside Of MeWhilst watching various music channels (as I have most of this holiday) I have started to realise nothing the Coral release will ever live up to the hyperactive brilliance of ‘Dreaming of You’. As with the lead single from their current album, it’s good, but nothing to get tremendously excited over. It just doesn’t seem to have that vital spark to it. It’s likeable from the first listen, with it’s punchy rhythm guitar and fabulous main riff, but as yet there’s nothing about it that makes it really stand out from the crowd, apart from that fantastic green cover, that is.
3.5/5

Kaiser Chiefs‘I Predict A Riot’/'Sink That Ship’
I Predict A RiotIf you’ve been reading WL for most of the last year, you will remember how excited I got by this single’s original release and was disappointed about how I hadn’t managed to hear it sooner. This 2005 re-release comes complete with a bizarre silent movie style video and an extra track masquerading as a double a side as an incentive for fans who haven’t yet downloaded the lead track. After all, ‘I Predict A Riot’ has spent the best part of the last month gradually clambering up the lower regions of the top 40, much to your average chartgazer’s amusement. The thing is I haven’t heard this extra track, or seen a video, which makes the whole effort a little half-hearted, really. ‘I Predict A Riot’ is still a great song, and a huge crowd pleaser, as demonstrated during 2005’s festival season, just now it’s EVERYWHERE it seems to have lost a bit of the original indie magic.
4/5

Mark Owen‘Believe In The Boogie’
Believe In The BoogieThis, for me, is yet another guilty pleasure from the ex Take-Thatter, but GOD this song is catchy! I’ve always had my doubts over Owen’s actual singing ability, but thankfully it doesn’t distract too much from him being able to create this nice piece of power pop that’s definitely on a par with some of his better solo work. It also screams ‘feelgood’ with its jolly beat, irresistable hook and great harmonies. If my research also serves me well, this song was featured in the film ‘Mr and Mrs Smith’ – not too shabby for an indie popster working on his own label after the commercial failure of second album ‘In Your Own Time’. This time I don’t care if it’s tragically uncool – I really do love this song and I’m definitely off to buy it this week.
4.5/5

Oasis‘The Importance Of Being Idle’
The Importance Of Being Idle10 years on from ‘Roll With It’ and they haven’t changed a bit, bless ‘em. The second single from the band's number one album ‘Don’t Believe The Truth’, ‘The Importance of Being Idle’ has an attractive lazy swagger to it and runs rings around ‘Lyla’. This might have a little something to do with the fact Noel, as opposed to Liam, is singing. However, the most important part of the release is the video casting and choreography– Notting Hill’s Rhys Ifans prancing about pretending to be a funeral director is pure genius. Without the video, however, the song loses its spark, especially when MIMED on certain terrestrial TV shows. Not impresssed, boys, not impressed.
3.5/5

Single of the Week:

Robert Post - 'Got None'
Got None - get it now!I first caught a glimpse of the video for this song shortly before I visited France and whilst it took a while to lure me away from the state of ‘pretty colours! rabbit costumes! semi-animated video!’ soon enough I was annoying my entire family by humming the chorus wherever I went. For some reason they thought it was James Blunt. Um, no. This is infinitely better, both lyrically and musically and it has a heck of a lot more bounce. Anyway, young Robert Post is Norwegian and grew up in a small village…without a TV. Poor lad. But he has crafted a stunning piece of indiepop. Q Magazine compared his epic style to that of the Manic Street Preachers. I’m not so sure, but it certainly packs in the acoustic guitar, great basslines, sweeping strings and subtle keyboards that make what is, in my eyes, an incredible song. To top it all off, the video is a visual delight (aside from the one subtle adult reference – brownie points for spotting it!) and can be viewed at Robert’s official site. I urge you to do so immediately.
5/5


More Releases (ones I’ve heard in bold)
Amerie – Touch, Bedouin Soundclash - When The Night Feels My Song, Black Eyed Peas - Don’t Lie, The Brian Jonestown Massacre - We Are The Radio EP, The Cloud Room - Blackout [7" only], The Coral - Something Inside Of Me, Crazy Frog – Popcorn, The Cribs – Martell, Foy Vance - Live Sessions EP, Freemasons Ft Amanda Wilson - Love On My Mind, Gang Of Four - To Hell With Poverty [7" only], Girls Aloud - Long Hot Summer, Helen Love - Long Hot Summer, John Legend Ft Kanye West - Number 1, Kaci - I Will Learn To Love Again, Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict A Riot/Sink That Ship, Kevin Mark Trail - Last Night EP [Download Only], Klub Kidz Ft Jason Prince - Incomplete/You’re Beautiful, Kubb – Remain, Mark Owen - Believe In The Boogie, Mint Royale - Singin’ In The Rain, Nightwish - The Siren, Oasis - The Importance Of Being Idle, Petra Jean Philipson - One Day [7" only], Ralfe Band - Fifteen Hundred Years [7" only], Research - C’Mon Chameleon/I Love You, But, Richard Hawley - The Ocean, Rihanna - Pon De Replay, Robert Post - Got None, The Rolling Stones - Streets Of Love/Rough Justice, Simon Webbe - Lay Your Hands, Tyler James - Your Woman, Warlocks - Come Save Us, White Stripes - My Doorbell

Questions for the WL comment crew this week:
Blur or Oasis?
How did you find WL?
And, as ever, what’s your single of the week?