Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (17/10/05)

I'm really struggling, this week. After almost a week of being off sick and spending my days flicking through the digital music channels, you would think I'd heard, and liked, a greater proportion of this little lot. I have pre-ordered the Do Me Bad Things limited vinyl, but unfortunately it hasn't made it to my letterbox yet. Shame. My reviewer's masterplan was to rely on one single...which has subsequently (and frustratingly!) had its release put back a couple of weeks. So, is there anything worth your time?

Alex Parks - 'Looking For Water' (official site)
Lacklustre download-only single from the Fame Academy winner's second album. As much as I love Alex's voice, this is nothing that special.
2/5

Arctic Monkeys - 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor' (official site)
While I don't dislike the Arctic Monkeys with such a passion as Lewis, I still fail to see this amazing 'thing' that makes them more talented, promising, and 'the next big thing' in comparison to every other typical NME-endorsed indie band. I just think they're a little overhyped.
3/5

McFly - 'I Wanna Hold You' (official site)
The sucessors to Busted's power-pop throne (although soon to be challenged by 'Son of Dork') release another single of their formulaic guitar pop. I've never liked McFly's vocals, nor their lyrics, but the music here is delightfully uplifting and shows more complexity and musical prowess in comparison to anything released by their predecessors. It's not great, but it's not bad either.
3/5

Single of the Week:
Protocol - 'She Waits For Me' (official site)
So instead, I'm going to recommend a single that was out last week, but probably didn't get the attention it deserved. 'She Waits For Me' is an excellent slice of indie-ish electropop, by a band not afraid to classify themselves as 'pop'. The lead singer may have the most offputting hair since the time Alex Kapranos rid himself of his trademark 'do, but that's about the only critical thing I can say here. The music itself sounds like a friendly British alternative to The Bravery or The Killers, with a fabulous, infectious melody and plenty of synths combined effectively with a prominent bass line and distorted guitars. It's energetic, addictive, and has an impressive video accompaniment. Why the hell is it this week's number 65?
5/5

All Releases: (those heard by me in bold)
12 Stone Toddler - Come Back, Alex Parks - Looking For Water [Download Only], Arab Strap - Dream Sequence [7” only], Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Baby J - None Of Them [12” only], Barbra Streisand - Stranger In A Strange Land, Blak Twang - Travellin’, The Brakes - Ring A Ding Ding, Chase & Status - Duppy Man, Chocolate Monday - Model Life, Conjure One - Extraordinary Way, Da Playaz Ft Clea - Clothes Off, Dannii Minogue - Perfection, Deus - 7 Days, 7 Weeks, Do Me Bad Things - Standards EP [7” only], Dre Allen Project Ft Dawn Robinson - Fly, Echelon - Windows Shut, Happy Mondays - Playground Superstar, Hardkandy - Three Days, Jamie Liddell - Multiply, John Cale - Perfect, John Legend - So High [12” only], Kings Have Long Arms - All Hail Satan, The Kooks - Sofa Song, Laura Veirs - Galaxies, Lethal Bizzle - Fire, The Littl’ans - Their Way, Love Bites - You Broke My Heart, McFly - I Wanna Hold You, My Latest Novel - Sister Sneaker Sister Soul, Olav Basoski Ft Michie One - Waterman, Omerta - One Chance/Synchronise Your Smile, Organ - Memorize The City [Ltd Ed], The Paddingtons - Sorry, Paris Avenue Ft Robin One - I Want You, People’s Revolutionary Choir - Elevate, Rammstein - Benzin’, Research - Way You Used To Smile, Tiga - You Gonna Want Me, Triquetra - Half The Time, Wheatus - Bmx Bandits [7’’ only]

What's your single of the week?