Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Fish Does The Singles (14/11/05)

Fish's Single of the Week
Funeral For A Friend – History

This gorgeous ballad from the screamo 'It'-band of the moment really is quite astonishingly good. It's also incredibly tender for a band so very fond of YELLING AT THE MICROPHONE LIKE IT JUST KILLED THEIR PUPPY, but loses no power for this. In fact, I think it gains force and poignancy, and I'd love to see more of this breed of song from FFAF.
I have to admit I didn't think much of it on first listen, or second, for that matter, but it's a complete grower. In fact, I'm nearly prepared to say it betters previous single 'Streetcar' from second album 'Hours', and sheesh, did I LOVE that song. Whereas 'Streetcar' was an immediate hit, 'History' is much more subtle, creeping into your mind rather than hammering it's way in. You know what they say - the best songs don't grab you straight off. A gentle guitar riff, melodic vocals, heartfelt chants, simple yet perfectly effective lyrics. Ask me to review it again in another few weeks and I'm sure I'd have a lot more to say about it because it's still working its magic on me.
The video and inspiration behind the song deserve special mentions too.
While at times said video is a little… well, odd (the band playing in the midst of rioting miners), it has the same quiet strength as the song itself, with actors who are extremely convincing. Some may watch and think 'blah, emotional over-the-top twaddlery' which eh, I did a bit at first, but if you allow yourself to really get into it, it complements the song wonderfully.
The miner's strike, subsequent decline in industry, and collossal lasting effect it has had, and is still having, on the area and its people is something that's all too easy to see and feel around my home town (Stoke-On-Trent). 'Raise your fingers for one last salute… bleed this skyline dry, your history is mine.' Amen.
This is a subject that definitely hits a nerve for me, and the song aptly serves as a soundtrack. Beautiful.

5/5

Other not-quite recommendations:

The Used - I Caught Fire:
O The Used, I do love thee. One of the standout tracks from 'In Love And Death'. I'll be the first to admit they've definitely lost the spark they had on their first album, but there's still a little ember burning in The Used. Kindly introduce it to a forest and let's have the old you back, boys.

Green Day - Jesus Of Suburbia:
Green Day have become so up themselves it makes me want to cry. This song is a melodramatic self-pitiful slice of crap. I do not recognise this band as the same people who came up with 'Hitchin' A Ride' or 'Good Riddance'. For shame.

The Darkness - One Way Ticket:
Dear The Darkness. I hate you. You are not funny. You are not inventive. You are not 'the saviours of rock'. You are not anything but a viable shotgun target. Please relocate yourself from the charts to a shooting lane. Thank you. P.S. - IT'S CALLED A RETURN TICKET, RETARDS.