Saturday, November 05, 2005

Freelance Videowatch...with Elz

Freelance Videowatch:
Patrick Wolf - Tristan (official site, video)

Compulsory hottie close-up. I mean...Dark. That's the first impression I have of the video for "Tristan". The next is eerie. The video accurately matches the snarling, growling vocals from Patrick Wolf. The music is almost hypnotic, and the video is perfect. I'm not sure why Wolf appears to be wearing the hair of two blonde ladies on his shoulders, but he seems to be an eccentric sort of chap to me, so I'll let him off the hook. I think he probably killed them, which just may be why there are some men trying to catch him.

From what you can see, Wolf appears to be in a forest at night, chased by... who? The police, or Blonde ladies, I tell thee.the enraged family of Tristan's victims? There are searchlights held by the pursuers, but Tristan has no light. The video is grainy, and not clear-cut at all. It's dark and mysterious, and you're never quite sure what you're seeing. The only obvious part is when the men throw Wolf into a lake. I like to think they're either trying to drown him, or they're seeing if he's a witch. Doesn't look like he's floating, though, but he does reappear, wet and bedraggled (and rather pretty), which gives me the impression thatMmmm, soggy Patrick. Yes please. he is indeed alive. Not mortal, maybe not human, but alive.

What happened to Tristan that made him like this? More to the point, where can I get some? If my hunch is right (vampire, anyone?), being one of the undead suddenly doesn't seem like such a bad thing.
4/5