Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (07/11/05)

Single of the Week:
Brendan Benson - 'What I’m Looking For'
Clearly our darling Lewis is WRONG, because I'm declaring this loveable piece of indiepop my single of the week, despite the fact it seems to have completely disappeared off the listings. HMV says it's out though, so that's okay. 'What I'm Looking For' was the first song from The Alternative To Love I heard properly (having seen Brendan live supporting Keane a few weeks previously) and I've loved it ever since. It is also the third single from Brendan's third album and is a wonderful piece of singalong pop music. The bouncy rhythm, along with the simplistic rhyming couplets emphasise the fact you shouldn't take the song too seriously. I like it. And I like 'About A Boy' too.
4.5/5

Special Mention:
Elbow - 'Leaders of the Free World'
The thing that's notable about this week is the selection of new releases with particularly adventurous or different music videos. My favourite is easily the one accompanying this week's release from Elbow, who are already responsible for one of my favourite music videos of the year. This one's even better. If you aren't won over by the politically charged song, you'll be won over by the melding of carefully shot video and live footage (they do it better than Coldplay, anyway), the blending in of animation, the musical controls of the band's freaky robot spaceship or Guy Garvey's comedy moustache. Whichever way you look at it - it's a winner. You can also see the video here.
4/5

Others:

Jamiroquai - '(Don't) Give Hate A Chance'
Jamiroquai's new single '(Don't) Give Hate A Chance' also has a rather cute little animated visual, with a cartoon JK in an oversized hat preaching against prejudice. Nice sentiment. Shame the song isn't much cop. And don't silly, pointless brackets annoy you, too? 2/5

Kaiser Chiefs - Modern Way
'Modern Way' by the Kaiser Chiefs is possibly the weakest of their singles so far, having a verse so tedious it's chore to wait for the chorus, which, when you reach it, isn't quite the redeeming factor you would be hoping for. Still, you can't say the band are down on their luck, having sold out an arena tour in record time. I'm attending, even if I'm slightly more excited about the support act - one Mr Graham Coxon. The video is worth a watch though and features tennis balls (though no Tim Henman in sight) and yet more comedy moustaches. You've got to love a comedy moustache. 3/5

My Chemical Romance - I’m Not Okay (I Promise)
Re-released? For the second time? WHY? Admittedly, it's a wonderful slice of emo-pop, but I have my doubts about whether it will even equal or better its 2005 chart position of 19. In fact, it'll be lucky if it even makes the top 30. This one's grown on me a lot since it's first re-release, and the video has always been something special. 4/5

Son of Dork - Ticket Out Of Loserville
James Bourne, formerly of Busted, has finally decided to go it alone. Well, form his own band, at least. The tweenagers will be cheering since, unlike his former bandmate Charlie Simpson, he's stuck rigidly to the Busted formula. Unfortunately, I'm not cheering. Possibly because I'm past that age (although I have a growing appreciation for McFly) and just possibly because I never could see what was so great about Busted. However, the infuriating addition to my dislike of Son of Dork is the fact that they seem so Americanised...and it doesn't work. Some bands do this 'American' thing successfully - 'what? Lostprophets are WELSH?!' - but James and his wannabe gang just seem like a bunch of unsophisticated pretenders who do small town record singings. Hmph. 1/5

Major Releases: (ones I've heard in bold)
Bananarama - Look On The Floor (Hypnotic Tango), Bob Marley & The Wailers - I Shot The Sheriff, Chanel - My Life, Coburn - We Interrupt This Programme, Corrine Bailey Rae - Like A Star, Daniel Powter - Free Loop, Drive By Argument - Sexlines Are Expensive Comedy, Dualers - Truly, Madly, Deeply, Duels - Pressure On You, Elbow - Leaders Of The Free World, Engerica - Roadkill, Feeling - Fill My Little World, Four Day Hombre - 1000 Bulbs, The Game - Put You On The Game, HK119 - Pick Me Up, Hypo Psycho - Stalker Girl, Jamiroquai - (Don't) Give Hate A Chance, Jim Reid - Song For A Secret, Kaiser Chiefs - Modern Way, Koopa - No Trend, Kubb - Wicked Soul, L’il Kim - Lighters Up, Madeleine Peyroux - Dance Me To The End Of Love, Madonna - Hung Up, Mando Diao - Down In The Past, My Chemical Romance - I’m Not Okay (I Promise), Noblesse Oblige - Quel Genre De Garcon?, Santana Ft Steven Tyler - Just Feel Better, Shakes - Goodbye New York, Simon Webbe - No Worries, Son Of Dork - Ticket Outta Loserville, Starlet DJs - Can’t Stop Dancin’, Towers Of London - How Rude She Was, Uniting Nations & Laura More - Ai No Corrida, Warlocks - It’s Just Like Surgery
What's YOUR single of the week?