Monday, December 05, 2005

Fish does the singles (05/12/05)

You should all go out and buy 'For Your Bones' by Alfa 9, because I said so. I haven’t actually heard it. But wait! I've seen them live, and I swear they're wonderful. Born and bred Stokies trying to do something with more of an indie/alternative edge within the local rock/punk scene, this could be their shot at getting a niche in the wider musical world. Please, support a good cause - Stoke should not be renowned for Robbie Williams!
3/5

I enjoy 'Walk Away' by the right honourable Franz Ferdinand rather a lot. It’s not classic Franz in my opinion, but still mighty enjoyable. I’m not going to say anything else, because I’m sure Hannah will.
3/5

The fourth and presumably final single from 'Eye to the Telescope', 'Under the Weather', is yet another faultlessly beautiful song from the wonderful Miss KT Tunstall. The song itself seems to grow and bloom – from a blissful acoustic intro and chorus to a full-blown, passionate ‘yes it feels like home!’ bridge and then back again. KT is without a doubt the best of the singer/songwriters out there if you ask me. Not only that, but I want to steal half the clothes she wears in the video, because her dress sense is just that good.
5/5

Any other time KT would own my Single of the Week, but unfortunately for her this is the week which hails the release of an snarling rabid beast of a new single from The Strokes in the form of 'Juicebox'. They’ve gone heavy! They’ve got the storming bass line that they should have given Nikolai years ago! They’re got omgz hott boy-on-boy, girl-on-girl, grandma-on-floor action in the video! They’ve got Julian shouting rather than mumbling! They’ve got slightly less jangly guitars! They’ve gone absolutely mental, and it’s fantastic! Oh my God, lemme sit down. This DOES excite me.
I’ve had a hell of a soft spot for The Strokes for years, but I’ve been waiting for them to bring out this sort of song and show me exactly what they’re capable of – because they can raise the bar a thousand feet above the drippy indie-schmindie drivel of 'Last Nite', and I know it.
'Reptilia' was pushing it, but this one packs the full punch. Fast-paced, bass-heavy, super-sexy, in-your-face indie rock. I was dreading 'First Impressions Of Earth' because I thought it’d be the album that killed them. Now, however, I think it’s going to be their rebirth, if this song is anything to go by. The Strokes' proverbial room is very much on fire, folks.
5/5