Saturday, December 03, 2005

Freelance Videowatch...with Elz

Freelance Videowatch:
The Futureheads - Area (official site - videos and much more)

You can't get much better than the Futureheads. Punk-indie-rock stuff that caIn mid-scroll, no one can hear you scream.n be beaten by very little, and you have no idea how pleased I was when I heard about "Area", the stand-alone EP with some lovely new tracks (which, as Hannah mentioned, probably won't be on the second album).

My first observation about the video is that it's no "Hounds of Love". My second observation is "scrolly-scrolly-scrolly", and while I could go on about that No no no no no! Mama mia mama mia let me go, Beelzebub has a...for a while, it wouldn't make for an interesting read. So we'll get some details. The video is primarily in black and white, although there are also bits of muted colours and yellow. Bright, bright yellow with mirrors. We also have bright lights, and I'm seeing a theme: the Futureheads want their fans blind for reasons I can't work out. Answers on a postcard or in a comment! In more video-related issues, there are a few moments vaguely reminiscent of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" video, when the four 'Heads are standing back to back and rotating.

The action barely stops at all, bar a few instances where the scrolling frames pause, which allows you to see Barry Hyde's face! Also included are some of the brilliant performance shots that we've come to know, love and expect from the Futureheads, and also when they're behind chain-link fencing. Got to keep those boys in their area.
I'm told the phrase is 'Ooooh, shiny-- OH GOD MY EYES!'
Okay, I'll admit it. I have no idea what's going on in the video, but aesthetically, it's fantastic, not that I'd expect anything less. The only suggestion I can make to improve the video is giving out free sunglasses with each copy, but if their nefarious plan is to blind us, I suppose that's why they don't. Clever boys.
4.5/5