Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hannah's Single of the Week (05/12/05)

Argh - Christmas novelty singles! Tony Christie! Tony Christie doing a Christmas novelty single! Hide! And so on, and so forth...Peter Kay's too busy trying to make Texas interesting by directing and starring in their new video. A tough job (making Texas interesting) but somebody's got to do it. However, there is a pocketful of releases I really like this week, which I've somewhat struggled to pick from. Gwen Stefani's brand of glossy electropop is still in my good books, and 'Luxurious' is a great fifth single, but is still a fifth single - not always a good thing. Royksopp have also released the marvellous 'What Else Is There?' which I also recommend. 'Ugly' by the Sugababes has a frustratingly catchy melody. Frustrating because the 'poignant' (according to one journalist) lyrics are a load of rubbish. For further information, see this week's post from Lewis.

Special Mentions:
Franz Ferdinand - 'Walk Away' (official site)
On Monday last week I went to see Franz Ferdinand. It was a bad gig for all the wrong reasons (and I'm not telling that story again) but the boys themselves were marvellous. I'm very much regretting missing this song from their set (and Paul the drummer picking up the guitar!) although when 'YCHISMB' first came out I never thought I would. Upon first listen, 'Walk Away' seems a weak Franz track. It's certainly the most sedate thing they've released as a single and certainly it's no 'Matinee'. It is, however, a grower, and definitely has less potential to get on your nerves in comparison with 'Do You Want To?'. Essentially, I love it, but I think that's because I'm a dedicated fan of Kapranos and co. If it wasn't them, I'd still like it, but I certainly wouldn't be raving about it.
4/5

KT Tunstall - 'Under The Weather' (official site)
Back in July of this year, I requested tracks from my various blogger buddies for a 'mystery mix cd' with their artist/title details removed. Our own dear Elz sent me this track, which was my immediate favourite on the CD and I listened to it repeatedly while lying in a caravan in northern France, feeling ill, while it pissed it down outside for a whole week. How incredibly fitting it is, then, that KT filmed the video for this in a strikingly similar setting. It certainly sums up the feeling of British weather and British melancholy (see Bill Bailey - Part Troll) though. The song itself is a gathering storm from the gentle acoustic sway of the verse to the passionate, driven middle-eight. However, the single sounds suspiciously like a re-recording and, having heard it first on 'Eye To The Telescope', I prefer the album version.
4.5/5

Single of the Week:
The Strokes - 'Juicebox' (official site)
Ah, The Strokes. A definite change in direction was needed after the disappointment that was 'Room On Fire' (ignoring 'Reptilia') and this down-and-dirty, rough-and-ready rocker definitely fits the bill. I would say more, but Fish has said it all. Breathtaking.
5/5

More Releases (ones I've heard in bold)
Adrian Munsey - A Wider Sky, Akon - Pot Of Gold, Alfa 9 - For You Bones [7” only], Bled - My Assassin [7” only], Bob Marley & The Wailers - Stand Up Jamrock, Braund Reynolds - Rocket, Brian Wilson - What I Really Want For Christmas, Captain - Frontline, Charlotte Church - Even God Can’t Change The Past, Colder - To The Music, Computerman - No More Broken Hearts, The Cribs - You’re Gonna Lose Us/Wrong Way To Be, DHT Ft Edmee - Listen To Your Heart, Enya - Amarantine, Flash Brothers - Faith In Love [12” only], Franz Ferdinand - Walk Away, Gwen Stefani - Luxurious, Hell - Tragic Picture Show [7” only], Herd & Fitz Ft Abigail Bailey - I Just Can't Get Enough, Il Divo - O Holy Night/Christmas Card, Imperial Vipers - Promised Land [7” only], John Legend - So High, Kanye West - Heard ‘Em Say, Katie Melua - I Cried For You/Just Like Heaven, KT Tunstall - Under The Weather, Lenny Fontana Ft Octah Via - The Way, Leya - On All My Sundays, Magnet - Fall At Your Feet, Milk Kan - Bling Bling Baby, Mystery Jets - Alas Agnes, Objects - Fifi Brown, Paul Weller - Here’s The Good News, Pink Mountaintops - Ones I Love [7” only], Rolling Stones - Rain Fall Down, Royksopp - What Else Is There?, Story One - Beggars Belief EP, The Strokes - Juicebox, Sugababes - Ugly, Tom Stephan Ft Katherine Ellis - Here I Come [12” only], Tony Christie - Merry Christmas Everybody

What's your single of the week?