Thursday, December 08, 2005

Hannah's Singles of the Year - The Shortlist (Part A)

So, as we enter December, I see it fit to round off the year with a shortlist of my favourite singles of this year before concluding by announcing my top 5 on New Year's Eve. Let's face it - you cannot place nearly 40 singles in an chart-like order without immediately regretting it, changing things round and confusing everybody.

Admittedly for a shortlist, it's not actually that short. Oh dear. However, amongst this lovely selection of the year's best singles there are some mp3s. These mp3s are intended for sampling purposes only, and we urge you to buy the album/single they come from, because they're so great! Downloads will be up for one week or 25 downloads - whatever happens first! If anyone owns the copyright and would like the tracks removed, please email us.
Enjoy!

The WL Shortlist - Part A:

Manic Street Preachers - Empty Souls
UK Chart Peak: 2
What I said at the time: "Empty Souls' captured my heart straight off, leading to a Manic Street Preachers musical revival"
What I say now: "It got to number 2, but alas it didn't do much for the sales of Lifeblood. I still love it now, possibly more than before. Its multilayered chorus is sublime and while lyrically it's not the best the music easily overrides that. And they scrapped the 'twin towers' lyric for the single version - hurrah!"
What I rated it then: 4/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Rachel Stevens - I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)
UK Chart Peak: 12
What I said at the time: "Nobody could front this other than Stevens. I'm not a pop lover, normally, but this is FANTASTIC."
What I say now: "It's probably the best pop song of its sort this year. I want to buy her album, and I'm not normally a pop fan! Rachel is a poptastic goddess."
What I rated it then: 4.5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Foo Fighters - DOA
UK Chart Peak: 25
What I said at the time: "addictive 360 degree rock from the unlikely Supergrass fans."
What I say now: "Obviously then I was going through my 'minimalist' blogger period when this was released, but this definitely deserves more attention than it got. The chorus is simple, and probably a bit cheesy, but insanely good, and the video combines stunning visual ideas with the Foo's quirkiness. Love it."
What I rated it then: 3.5/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Hal - Play The Hits
UK Chart Peak: 38
What I said at the time: I didn't. The focus was all on Razorlight.
What I say now: "They do summery sixties-esque pop better than the Thrills or anyone else Ireland wants to send over and this is possibly the best and hookiest track from their debut album. Deliciously upbeat and has more 'choruses' than you can count"
What I rated it then: I didn't.
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Protocol - She Waits For Me
UK Chart Peak: 65
What I said at the time: " The lead singer may have the most offputting hair since the time Alex Kapranos rid himself of his trademark 'do, but that's about the only critical thing I can say here."
What I say now: "He still has that hair in the new video, but generally things are looking promising for Protocol. Their followup single is still pretty good and they put the life back into the genre that The Bravery took so much out of. I still adore the energy of this song, and the singer has an unusually nice voice."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Patrick Wolf - Tristan
UK Chart Peak: Did not chart
What I said at the time: "[This] features Patrick growling and wailing to great effect, alongside some stunning instrumentation so unlike the contents of your average chart single. Oh Patrick - we are not worthy!"
What I say now: "The main appeal for me about Patrick Wolf is there really is nobody else quite like him. He's a genuine talent, a genuine eccentric and a writer's nightmare as his stunning music defies description."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Coldplay - Fix You
UK Chart Peak: 4
What I said at the time: "As the stand out track from X&Y (which doesn't really live up to the hype) it allows forgiveness for the pretty average 'Speed of Sound' and is an instant fan favourite, capturing the essence of everything that is Coldplay."
What I say now: "It's suffered somewhat from tragic overplaying on radio and TV, and I now prefer 'Talk', but 'Fix You' still has something magical about it, especially when you're singing along as part of a choir of thousands. And yes, my 'presence' in the video does cause me to be a bit biased. ;)"
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 4/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -