Thursday, December 15, 2005

Hannah's Singles of the Year - The Shortlist (Part B)

This is the second part of my shortlist for WL Single of the Year 2005. For your listening pleasure I've included some mp3s. These mp3s are intended for sampling purposes only, and are being left up for a week, maximum. I also urge you, if you enjoy them, to buy the album/single they come from, because we definitely recommend them! If anyone owns the copyright and would like the tracks removed, please email us. Enjoy!

Charlotte Church - Crazy Chick
UK Chart Peak: 2
What I said at the time: "I was particularly impressed with Charlotte Church’s ‘Crazy Chick’, being won over by its brass section and distinct lack of obvious chorus."
What I say now: "At the time it was beaten by Beck's delightfully quirky 'Girl' but this funky little number has definitely grown on me since. I must say I was quite surprised to hear it in the first place, seeing as Charlotte appeared to be taking an Eva Cassidy direction as late as January this year. Personally I'm glad she came out with this instead - the second best 'pop' pop record of the year."
What I rated it then: 3.5/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


The Futureheads - Hounds of Love
UK Chart Peak: 8
What I said at the time: "The Futureheads manage to successfully incorporate their signature style into an existing classic. It has 'hit' written all over it, and may be what really drags them into the mainstream."
What I say now: "Well, they didn't really get dragged into the mainstream, but for The Futureheads this song was a huge hit, and deservedly so. It's easily the best cover version of the year, possibly even of the decade so far. If you don't love it, there is something wrong with you."
What I rated it then: 3.5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


The Magic Numbers - Forever Lost
UK Chart Peak: 15
What I said at the time: "If you haven't heard this song, you are seriously missing out. It's mellow, summery pop at its best, with some gorgeous harmonies...and lots of facial hair."
What I say now: "I love it now just as much as I did when it was released. Everything about it is so completely and utterly perfect - from the instrumentation, to the harmonies, and especially to that bit where they go a cappella. Leaves me with a warm fuzzy feeling inside."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -

KT Tunstall - Black Horse and The Cherry Tree
UK Chart Peak: 28
What I said at the time: I didn't!
What I say now: "Funnily enough, I didn't take too much notice of this song when it came out, considering it's release date was shared with two other singles that have made this shortlist, along with Kaiser Chiefs, who didn't. I think I do prefer KT when she's a little more upbeat, like this. Acoustic guitars, great beat, surging chorus - what's not to like?"
What I rated it then: ?/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -

Charlotte Hatherley - Bastardo
UK Chart Peak: 31
What I said at the time: "Very seldom do you see credible guitar-pop perfection. It's not often you see a star-studded video, either. So, it's even more of a shock to the system when you see a remarkable song coupled with what is easily the best video of the year so far."
What I say now: "This is girl power-pop how it should be done. Take note, all you Faders and Love Bites types."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -

Brendan Benson - Spit It Out
UK Chart Peak: 75
What I said at the time: "it's great, lively, fun pop - just homemade (Brendan plays almost all the instruments himself) and free of anything artificial"
What I say now: "The first great single from a great album. Yes, it's more singalong power pop (and there's a lot of it on this shortlist) but Mr Benson is one of these people who genuinely deserves to be bigger than he is, considering this song only just became his first top 75 UK hit. Hopefully soon that's going to change..."
What I rated it then: 4/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -

Rilo Kiley - Portions For Foxes
UK Chart Peak: Did not chart :(
What I said at the time: "Jonny sent it to me, and it's very good. That is all. Please buy."
What I say now: "This year Rilo Kiley have pretty much been my only solution for everybody's musical dilemmas. At every opportunity I've said 'listen to Rilo Kiley!' and hopefully there have been a few RK converts on the way. The thing is, I can't quite articulate how incredibly ACE this band is. Poptext (one of my favourite mp3 blogs) does a better job of that."
What I rated it then: 4/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -