Thursday, December 22, 2005

Hannah's Singles of the Year - The Shortlist (Part C)

This is the third part of my 'shortlist' for my single of the year. There are past singles of the week, as well as a few surprises! Some of the listed singles are accompanied by mp3s. These are for sampling purposes only, and I really recommend you go and buy the CD or one of those fancy legal downloads. I prefer CDs though. Or vinyl. Vinyl is good. Downloads will be up for a week and/or a limited number of downloads. Enjoy!

Stereophonics - Dakota
UK Chart Peak: 1
What I said at the time: "This week my single of the week just has to be 'Dakota' from the Stereophonics (I'm a fan...so shoot me)"
What I say now: "Possibly the least Stereophonics-like Stereophonics single of all time, which is probably why even the anti-Stereophonics brigade guiltily sat up and took notice. For the fans it was something amazing and easily the highlight of their set on their UK tour. It's just a real shame the later singles didn't even come close to this piece of absolute brilliance."
What I rated it then: ?/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure
UK Chart Peak: 17
What I said at the time: "It's upbeat, with energetic angular guitar riffs, is full of pizazz and sparkle and has a definite sense of I'm-not-quite-sure-what-the-chorus-is...and the most impressive thing is it's not even their best."
What I say now: "Well, it's been out twice this year and frankly I expected to be sick of it by now, but I'm not! There's something magic about it, as there is with the whole album. But I've said it once, and I'll say it again - I really do not like Paul's hair!"
What I rated it then: 4.5/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Elbow - Forget Myself
UK Chart Peak: 22
What I said at the time: "worms its way into your brain and superglues itself to the inside of your skull"
What I say now: "While Elbow don't have the same sort of catchiness as their supposed musical cousins Coldplay, there's something incredibly addictive about this single. I reckon it's the layered nature of the song - there's always something new to hear, even several months on."
What I rated it then: 4/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Bright Eyes- First Day Of My Life
UK Chart Peak: 37
What I said at the time: "The song itself is nothing that will change the world, but its beauty lies in its simplicity and its tenderness."
What I say now: "It's the most gorgeous, heartstring-tugging, musical expression of love that's been released this year. Why 'You're Beautiful' gets all the success, god knows..."
What I rated it then: 3.5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Mark Owen - Believe In The Boogie
UK Chart Peak: 57
What I said at the time: "I don’t care if it’s tragically uncool – I really do love this song and I’m definitely off to buy it this week."
What I say now: "Yes it's cheesy. Yes I will be the first to admit Mark isn't the world's best singer. But I LOVE this song. And surely the fact I'm confessing this proves exactly how much. How the mighty fall...and rise up again. Welcome back Take That!"
What I rated it then: 4.5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


The Frames - Fake
UK Chart Peak: Did not chart :(
What I said at the time: "I can't find what I said!"
What I say now: "Having first heard this so long ago, it's done nothing but grow on me and grow on me. It's one of those genuine indie epics. There's such beautiful use of vocals, dynamics, guitars, strings - everything! I recommend it to Snow Patrol fans, actually."
What I rated it then: ?/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


The Go! Team - Bottle Rocket
UK Chart Peak: 64
What I said at the time: "It's a re-release, I think, but it's still the most innovative, interesting and, most importantly, good single out this week. It's funky, quirky, danceable, and irritatingly unclassifiable, but still brilliant."
What I say now: "What is this? Pop? Dance? Hiphop? Who cares? It's eccentric, colourful, fabulous and, most importantly, a lot of fun. It's able to melt the stubborn heart of any devout 'alternative/indie kid' any day."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -