Friday, December 30, 2005

Hannah's Singles of the Year - The Shortlist (Part D)

Doves - Black and White Town
UK Chart Peak: 6
What I said at the time: " Accompanied by a video that seems to be a cross between Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' and The Libertines' 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads' it's not just powerful musically, but visually, too. Conclusion? I could happily listen to it all day."
What I say now: "Only occasionally does Jonny start insisting I listen to music because he thinks it's great. I have to mention here that he's nearly always right. This was one of the first tracks of 2005 he insisted I listened to and reviewed. It's the best single from 'Some Cities', and the high point of the band's live set when I saw them in July."
What I rated it then: 4/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Razorlight - Somewhere Else
UK Chart Peak: 2
What I said at the time: "Borrell and the boys are back with possibly their catchiest hook yet, a stunning track that manages to worm its way into your head before refusing to budge. I love it, I really do, and I've actually bothered to go out and buy it too."
What I say now: "Borrell can be an idiot. However, aside from the odd scrap with Doherty, he writes some fantastic songs. This one, 'Keep The Right Profile' and the sublime 'Kirby's House' were his offerings for 2005. This was the big hit single, narrowly missing out on the band's first number one. It was well deserved, too."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See
UK Chart Peak: 12
What I said at the time: "It's a catchy little thing and contrasts nicely with the gentler paced ballad that preceded it. In comparison, this is a stomping energetic number with more of an edge, and two vocal lines, illustrated cleverly by the video. Twice the amount of Tunstall. What a great concept."
What I say now: "Eee! Look at her cheeky, happy, smiley face! Marvellous. KT Tunstall - woman of 2005. Like Dido and Katie Melua, but infinitely less bland, with a bit more pace and a killer middle eight."
What I rated it then: 4/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


British Sea Power - Please Stand Up
UK Chart Peak: 34
What I said at the time: "It's the only song of theirs I've heard and I adore it, and I'm desperate to hear the album, because this track is (apparently) not their best. There's better yet to come? I can't wait."
What I say now: "Yes, it's another epic indie track with strings, guitars, etc. I might express a lack of variation and originality with my single picks, but anyone who has heard this will know it's an amazing adrenalin rush and a fantastic song."
What I rated it then: ?/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Patrick Wolf - The Libertine
UK Chart Peak: 67
What I said at the time: "Patrick has created some beautiful, true music, with an introduction full of suspense, escalating into a sweeping, complex, fully-formed cult classic, with a chorus almost as grandiose as something by Muse, except without the thrashy guitars."
What I say now: "My first experience of Patrick Wolf made me admit that Michael Bush has good taste in music. And that doesn't happen very often. :P Everything, from the mystical piano, to Patrick's bewitching voice, to the sweeping strings, the sound samples is PERFECT and makes you want to hear the track again and again and again. Just to make sure it really was that unbelievably incredible. Just to check."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Missy Higgins - Scar
UK Chart Peak: Did not chart
What I said at the time: "'Scar' is a delightful slice of piano driven pop that is so ridiculously catchy that one listen will have it stuck in your head for a matter of days. Think Daniel Powter's 'Bad Day' in female form, just more intelligent, avec Aussie accent and sans stupid beanie hat."
What I say now: "Australia's shining star flopped spectactularly here. Maybe this is because the British public only buy from Aussies they've seen on Neighbours? I'm not sure. However, Missy definitely deserved more attention than she got. This single is a prime example of that. All praise be to The Amp for being the only channel on TV to play her video."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 4.5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -


Robert Post - Got None
UK Chart Peak: 42
What I said at the time: "Q Magazine compared his epic style to that of the Manic Street Preachers. I’m not so sure, but it certainly packs in the acoustic guitar, great basslines, sweeping strings and subtle keyboards that make what is, in my eyes, an incredible song."
What I say now: "I still think he looks a bit like a chubbier Craig-from-Big-Brother. I still think in some of his other songs he doesn't have the best grasp of the english language. I still don't quite understand the baseball cap. However, this song, and its video are completely and utterly fantastic. Nuff said."
What I rated it then: 5/5
What I rate it now: 5/5
- original post -//- official site -//- video -//- mp3 -