Saturday, January 28, 2006

Freelance Videowatch...with Elz

Freelance Videowatch:
Delays - Valentine (official site, video on Yahoo)

In the words of the illustrious Hannah, this video is "f*cking trippy". And I'm inclined to agree with her. It's so trippy, in fact, that I can't show you screenshots. Your computer wouldn't be able to handle it. Delays are back, and they're here with the force of an asteroid or something else equally forceful and explosive. Either way, the style they began with "Lost In A Melody" has grown into something new and unique for their second album. You won't be able to stop yourself from liking it.

It's a very surreal video, really. There's a tornado made of light, masked acrobats, neon skyscrapers, dancing people who are on fire and insanely kaleidoscopic effects. Light shows, swirling funfair rides... I even think I saw someone dressed as a giant rabbit, but I can't verify that as I was too busy having my mind blown. Imagine, if you will, the TARDIS wormhole with buildings, dancing ghosts, men with guitars and a disco-beat soundtrack. That's "Valentine". Band members are being spun around on enormous flowers or inside rainbows and are finally swept away at the end of the video by that darn light tornado (I hear they can be real pests). It's probably their best video to date - no, it's probably the best video ever to date.

I can't choose between the words "dream" and "nightmare" to describe this video. I suspect "drug high" would come closest, along with "weird", "creepy" and "fascinatingly bizarre". However you choose to describe it, though, you'll probably end up back with Hannah's choice. F*cking trippy.

Maybe this is what it's like in Pete Doherty's mind.
5/5